SPACE IS LIMITED Order tickets here
As a person who is keenly interested in your community, you will want to know about an exciting event coming to Vancouver. Please join us at GENDER EQUALITY NOW – a world class event for people such as yourself who care about human rights and what we can do to advance gender equality, both locally and globally.
This one day symposium will feature keynote speakers and an interactive panel with international and local expertise on gender equality. We will learn from their experiences and explore strategies for positive change.
Keynote speakers are:
· Bette Levy, Vice Chair of the NGO (non-governmental organization) Committee of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women, and
· Emilia Reyes, Gender-Responsive Public Policy Consultant to the U.N., and the governments of Finland, Denmark and Mexico
The Experts’ Panel discussion will highlight actions both needed and undertaken by government, business and civil society. Audience members will be invited to participate in the discussions followed by a Q & A session.
A workshop will follow, engaging participants in moving forward with collective action.
The Panelists are:
· Senator Mobina Jaffer, most recently the Chair of the Senate study on sexual exploitation of children; former Chair of the Canadian Committee on Women, Peace, and Security.
· Ajit Mehat, former Director General at Human Resources & Skills Development Canada, and CEO of OHSA at Health Canada. Ajit has spearheaded changes to policies to support vulnerable female populations.
· Maureen Fitzgerald, Gender Diversity Advisor, former policy/human rights lawyer and author. Maureen has consulted to many corporations on increasing gender diversity and equality. As a labour lawyer she fought for human rights and women’s equality.
GENDER EQUALITY NOW will enhance your awareness of the issues, provide practical tools for taking action within our communities, and highlight collective mobilization of advocacy on a large scale.
This session is being presented by the Western Canada Region of Soroptimist International a service club whose mandate is to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment.
We hope you can join us!